EOS Data Analytics Participation In Horizon Europe: Paving A Path To Sustainability Together
On a mission to harness space technology for sustainable development, EOS Data Analytics has joined the EU's Horizon project. The science team has brought its expertise to the GoldenEye program focused on enabling responsible mining, and we are eager to take on more projects promoting sustainable practices.
EOS Data Analytics joined the consortium for one of the green economy projects within the Horizon 2020 funding program, a major EU initiative promoting research and innovation.
Horizon 2020 aims to strengthen Europe's innovative potential by focusing on excellent science, industrial leadership, and addressing societal challenges. The goal is to create conditions for science to thrive and promote collaboration of public and private sectors to deliver globally competitive innovations.
GoldenEye – Horizon 2020 Funded Project
EOS Data Analytics joined GoldenEye, one of the Horizon 2020 research projects focused on the mining industry. It aims to:
- Develop new sensing technologies and data integration
- Obtain new data of the trial mine sites
- Create an analytics platform to integrate new and existing data of the trial mine sites
- Provide a cloud solution for the mining customers and authorities to access information of the mining sites
EOSDA's Input Into The Horizon 2020 Project GoldenEye
Drawing on vast scientific and analytical expertise, EOS Ukraine, a subsidiary of EOS Data Analytics, has developed an algorithm for land surface temperature downscaling from Landsat-8 to a finer spatial resolution of Sentinel-2 data. The advantage of the underlying ElasticNet regression method is the minimal dependence on land surface classes. As a result, GoldenEye maps of surface temperatures reveal fine details that cannot be seen in the original satellite images.
The tasks of EOSDA science team in the project scope were to:
Start of the project
Field trial planning
Data acquisition and processing
Field trial completion
End of project
Current Project Status
EOS Data Analytics developed an algorithm based on ElasticNet regression to downscale Landsat-8 land surface temperature to finer Sentinel-2 image resolution. As a result, a higher degree of detail was achieved in temperature maps compared to the original imagery.
The science team introduced the time series of Sentinel-1 Single Look Complex (SLC) coherence data to locate operating mines and unaffected surfaces of mining areas. This approach facilitated the mapping of the active mining areas and measuring the scale of surface changes.
Leveraging SAR data, which enables fast and accurate mapping of surface water bodies under any conditions, EOSDA came up with a viable solution for monitoring changes in the water surface of tailings ponds.
EOSDA Experts Working On GoldenEye Project
Data Scientist, GoldenEye Project Coordinator
Dr. Nataliia Borotkanych
EOSDA Science Team
As a science-driven company, we have 25 professors with a PhD and 60 in-house data scientists and GIS specialists whose expertise shines through in all EOSDA solutions. Aside from delivering on Horizon 2020 program and similar projects, our science team is at the heart of crafting Custom Solutions, such as Yield Prediction, Remote Harvest Dynamics Monitoring, Crop Type Classification, Field Boundaries Detection, Soil Moisture Analytics.
Learn more about EOSDA participation in Horizon 2020
EOS Data Analytics Joins The Goldeneye Project
Joining the Goldeneye project, EOS Data Analytics will contribute to developing solutions that improve safety, environmental impact, and profitability of mines.
EOSDA’s Progress On The Work On The GoldenEye Project
The EOSDA specialists collected ground-based data at a copper ore quarry in Panagyurishte, Bulgaria, to validate the satellite monitoring technology for the GoldenEye platform
Use Of Satellite Remote Sensing In The Mining Industry
In the interview, Dr. Nataliia Borotkanych, Projects Coordinator at EOS Data Analytics, discusses the application of satellite remote sensing and imagery analytics in the mining industry. The specialist also talks about the contribution of the company team to the GoldenEye project.
About EOS Data Analytics
EOS Data Analytics (EOSDA) leverages space technologies to create AI-driven satellite analytics solutions, which address business needs across various verticals and promote sustainability. Founded in 2015 by Dr. Max Polyakov, EOSDA operates within the Noosphere space group of companies.
Unique Insights From Space With EOS SAT
EOSDA's own satellite constellation
In pursuit of more actionable data for tackling the burning global issues, we launched our own satellite. On January 3, 2023, the first out of seven optical satellites, EOS SAT-1, took off to the Low Earth Orbit. EOS SAT is a one-of-a-kind agri-focused constellation designed to provide valuable data and assist the agricultural sector in its entirety, from food production to insurance.
Projects Beyond Horizon 2020 Where We Can Help
EOS Data Analytics is eager to take on more pioneering projects that apply cutting-edge technologies to solve the biggest challenges facing the global community. We bring innovative solutions and solid scientific expertise to the table and believe that joined efforts will bring the sustainable future of humanity closer.
- EOSDA Crop Monitoring – an online satellite-driven precision agriculture platform with 950,000+ users in every world country
- Plant vegetation analysis using remote sensing technologies
- Information on weather hazards such as drought, cold, and heat stress
- Crop condition assessment and identification of problem areas
- Custom-tailored solutions for crop classification, yield prediction, harvest monitoring, and more
- Integration of of EOS SAT data during the field trials for better decision-making
- Detection and monitoring of deforestation, scalable from forest stand to region
- Reforestation dynamics tracing
- Monitoring of fire hazard indicators and locating the potential fires using time series of satellite and meteorological data
- Wildfire monitoring
- Forest health assessment
- Provision of high-resolution EOS SAT data, products, and online services
- Monitoring of operating mining areas and mineral extraction rate in open pit mines
- Monitoring and mapping the disposals of secondary raw materials using satellite data time series with terrestrial validation
- Assessment of soil stability in active and/or abandoned mining areas
- Monitoring and mapping the environmental impact of mining on soil, water, vegetation, and temperature conditions in buffer zones around mining areas
- Monitoring changes in water body characteristics
- Identifying and mapping areas of flood peaks
- Estimation of extreme drought risks and its impact on crop growth
- Detection and mapping of areas severely affected by water scarcity
- Forest fire risk and damage assessment, fire zone detection and mapping
- Monitoring moisture content in plants and assessing the risk of tree diseases
Want EOSDA to work on your project?
EOS Data Analytics is open to taking part in grant-funded programs and speeding up the global shift to a sustainable future.